Owl Outlook

The Student News Site of William Cullen Bryant High School

Owl Outlook

Owl Outlook

Owl Outlook

Alumni Feature: Where Are They Now?

Alumni Feature: Where Are They Now?

Mabel Li, one of Bryant’s 2023 Graduates, is currently attending Princeton University in New Jersey, where she is considering majoring in SPIA also known as public/international relations. Mabel shares with us what a day in her college life really looks like. Her mornings start off at 9 AM, where you might find her in a Writing Seminar, Political Theory, American Politics, or Chinese 101 lecture. Her classes end at 12 PM. Afterwards, Mabel continues to excel at her internship in a law firm which she began attending in her junior year of high school. At the end of her workdays, she begins to relax, grabbing dinner with her roommates at her residential college.   

But how was Mabel able to get an internship during high school? Well, Mabel said her secret to get into a law firm was by emailing and applying to over 70 firms. Only three gave her an interview and one accepted her, even though she had no work experience. Mabel did have 1-2 extracurriculars along with working online with organizations which weren’t related to law. When reflecting on the application process, she said, “I kept trying, kept making mistakes,” and in September she had her second anniversary with the firm! 

I was intrigued by the hard work Mabel strived to put in as a highschooler, yet alone in college, and wanted to know her story and how it led her to being accepted by Princeton University. Mabel had applied to QuestBridge– a national nonprofit which helps low-income families get into universities and colleges– her junior year of high school but was rejected. Mabel soon felt worried if she would be eligible to get into a university. This didn’t stop Mabel, for she applied again her senior year, receiving great news. Mabel said, “I was on FaceTime with my friend when I opened that acceptance letter and was shocked.”. It goes to show how such a small moment can turn into one’s reality. While letting us know that no matter how many obstacles we have to face for that one goal, she says, “Always keep trying. There is no harm in trying.”

Always keep trying. There is no harm in trying.

— Mabel Li

Mabel emphasized the impact AP classes had on her academic and time management skills. She mentioned some of the many teachers that inspired her throughout highschool, Mr. Zhang, her junior year AP Environmental teacher along with Mr. Stahl, her AP Government teacher. Mabel shared with a laugh regarding Mr. Stahl, “I would fight someone for a spot in his class if he comes to Princeton!”. I hope this portion of the newsletter finds its way to a certain AP Government teacher!