Owl Outlook

The Student News Site of William Cullen Bryant High School

Owl Outlook

Owl Outlook

Owl Outlook

Staff Feature: Exclusive Interview with Mr. Loupakis

The spotlight is on one of our Physical Education teachers: Mr. Loupakis!
Mr.+Loupakis
Humaira Jannat
Mr. Loupakis

While being  known as a Physical Education teacher at Bryant, he is mostly known as Coach Loupakis by his athletes.  Coach Loupakis has been coaching the track team for 23 years now! Coach Loupakis spent 9 years coaching the girls track team and 14 years with the boys track team. Mr. Loupakis told us that he feels “privileged to be able to help other people with their technique to help improve their endurance, their speed, improve their physique and that’s all a part of the motivation for coaching”. 

I feel privileged to be able to help other people with their technique to help improve their endurance, their speed, improve their physique and that’s all a part of the motivation for coaching.

— Mr. Loupakis

And even before he was a teacher, Coach Loupakis was a student-athlete at Bryant.  He shared some of his accomplishments with us and they were as follows: 5k run time 15:32 and for the 10k run time 34:22.  These are quite impressive results for Cross Country, considering how long these runs were and the harsh running conditions.  Taking these factors into consideration, and that the average time it takes to run a 5k on average is about 30-40 minutes, Mr. Loupakis cut the average 5k time in half! That is very impressive and for the 10k on average it takes about 45-55 minutes. Mr. Loupakis ran that in an impressive 34:22–quite outstanding times for both races in their respective times.

Mr. Loupakis talked about his passion for running with him stating “I always loved running and I still enjoy running now”.   Taking these facts into account we can see that Mr. Loupakis was quite the impressive track runner, which is what we believe makes him a good PE teacher.