Owl Outlook

The Student News Site of William Cullen Bryant High School

Owl Outlook

Owl Outlook

Owl Outlook

What is the Difference Between the Paper SAT and the Digital SAT?

This year, College Board made a huge change to the SAT by switching from taking it on paper to taking it digitally. At first the students weren’t too sure about the changes since they did not have any idea on what the test would be like. It was a completely different style from what they were originally preparing for. 

Later, when comparing paper to digital, it was more evident that the change is more beneficial to students. Some information about the paper SAT is that it was longer ( 3 hours and 15 minutes); the paper SAT was to test the students’ ability to be able to analyze complex reading passages and math concepts, meaning that you would receive more complex questions then what you have learned in school. The SAT is known for a high-stakes exam which adds a lot of pressure to the students causing them to not receive a high score. 

Now the change to taking the SAT digitally makes it more convenient for students. It has a shorter time period (2 hours and 14 minutes), and that the second module is based on your first one, meaning if you had a difficult time with Module One your Second Modules more likely to be easier. In general the test is overall made for students to be able to take with less stress, it was redone so students had more of a fair chance.